Monday, February 06, 2006

Illustration Friday - Chair


This is one of the dining room STEFAN chairs from IKEA that we have. I love them because they are sturdy, lightweight, and believe it or not pretty comfy to sit on. Plus they were well priced at $20 each, which was surprising because nice chairs are usually really expensive. I used to live pretty close to an IKEA when I lived in Pittsburgh, and it was nice because you could get half decent looking furniture for your college apartment and still have money for beer & art supplies.

10 comments:

Amy Zaleski said...

You're early this week! I find this topic a bit lame, but am still going to attempt something. Pretty cool looking illustration. I like the hard lines of the chair with the softer background. What is your technique for the background itself?

Seth Russell said...

I found this topic to be a bit lame myself. The background was done in photoshop and is a combination of bits and pieces of textures I found. The gritty stuff around the edges was done with a custom texture brush. Color was added by adjusting the Hue & Saturation. and a the center was lightened with a gradated white layer. And I painted the edges to look worn.

Rectite23 said...

Very cool graphic, I love your work!

HARDWAX said...

love that chair-solid,sharp design-beautifully done

Gerald de Dios said...

I like the color palette you chose. This turned out great.

bee'nme said...

Really like the contrasts in textures here, yet the hues tie it all together - great stuff!

gisedesign said...

Realmente hermosa silla, muy lindo trabajo.

carla said...

I love this...it makes your $20 Ikea chair look like an expensive antique...the background is excellent. This is such a strong piece...you did a great job with this topic (yep...I thought it was lame too:>)

Unknown said...

simple and elegant piece!!

TXArtcGal said...

VERY nice! The colors, the old feel...awesome!